QPR Report Twitter

Thursday, September 19, 2013

On This Day: Birthday for Tony Hazell (66)...Barry Bridges Final #QPR Game...Gary Waddock's FInal Game in Charge





ony Hazell Turns 66. Born September 19, 1947,

Defender: Full back and Centerback, Tony Hazell played 350+ League games for QPR from the mid-1960s until he was sold in December 1974 to Millwall. He was of course, one of the 1967 League Cup Final Team. Made his debut in 1964 and was an integral part of the 1966/67 and 1967/68 promotion teams and 1968/1969 relegation team. Also the 1972/73 promotion team. As I recall, he was picked once for the England U-23 squad, but didn't play.
See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hazell

From the Guardian - November 2006

Last week we delved into Stan Bowles's autobiography to discover that, apparently, he once booted a ball at the FA Cup trophy while it was being displayed pitchside at Sunderland during a game. But that's not the end of the story ...
Because reader Brian Halliday sent our article to a friend of his, one Gordon Jago MBE, the manager of QPR at the time of the incident, and who now resides in Dallas. Here's Gordon's view of the events: "The truth is that yes, the FA Cup was knocked off the table during the game against Sunderland, but not by Stan Bowles. It was Tony Hazell, the QPR defender.
"At some time during the game Tony cleared a ball and it knocked the cup flying. This incident really upset the home fans; so much so that the referee took both teams from the field to let tempers cool. The game was eventually restarted and we finished 3-0 winners. Stan had someone write a book for him and he tells the story about a bet and that he deliberately knocked the cup off the table. Fiction! I do not know if Tony or any of the other players have contacted Stan to correct him, but that story is typical of him and no doubt it helped to sell the book."

And also Gordon Jago

INterview with QPR Net

"...I remember our last game of the 1972/73 season was at Sunderland, we had won promotion and Sunderland had just won the FA Cup. They decided to have the cup on show on the sidelines during the game. For some unknown reason it was a really niggly game with plenty of fouls. The large crowd were getting onto us and Tony Hazell hit a clearance that hit the cup knocking it flying. This was the last thing needed at that time and there was a move by their fans to come onto the field as they thought that Tony had deliberately aimed at the cup. As I remember we had to leave the field for a short time but eventually we continued and won 3-0.

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/6864/tony-hazell-turns-66#ixzz2fKcIPtGL

ears Team Apps† (Gls)†
1964–1974 Queens Park Rangers 369 (4)
1974–1978 Millwall 153 (6)
1978–1979 Crystal Palace 5 (0)
1979–1981 Charlton Athletic 37 (0)
Total 564 (10)

ON THIS DAY in 1970: Barry Bridges Final QPR Game


QPR 2 Bristol City 1 (13,367)

I think Chris Garland scored for Bristol City. Marsh and Bridges scored for QPR. (As I recall it, and could be wrong was a typical Bridges running on and lobbing it over the goalie)

Clement Hunt Sibley Hazell
Francis Venables Ferguson
Marsh Saul Bridges

His First Goal on His Debut against Manchester City

Seven Years Ago: Gary Waddock's Final Game in charge

Port Vale 3 QPR 2

QPR Team
Cole, Bignot, Stewart, Kanyuka, Milanese (Rose 46), Cook,Ward (Baidoo 72), Bircham, Bailey, Nygaard (Ray Jones 45),Czerkas.
Subs Not Used: Rehman, Donnelly.

Match Reports

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

QPR Out of the Cup: Port Vale 3 QPR 2


Gary Waddock cut a disconsolate figure, as the R's were dumped out of the Carling Cup.
Rangers bowed out in the second round, after throwing away an early lead at Vale Park.
Goals from Jeff Smith, Danny Whitaker and Richard Walker wiped out Marc Nygaard's opener, and although Damion Stewart pulled one back late on, it was a night to forget for the R's.
"It's difficult to sum up. At 1-0 up we were comfortable, but we're out of the Cup because of our own silly mistakes, yet again.
"We approached the game in the right manner and in the opening exchanges we felt quite comfortable.
"But there is an obvious lack of confidence at the moment and that's because of our results.
"The players fought which was an improvement from Saturday and I can't fault their effort and commitment, but we've lost and it's a habit I don't like.''
Waddock's focus soon turned to Saturday's fixture against fellow strugglers Hull City at Loftus Road, with the R's gaffer commenting: "Saturday's match is a massive one now, not just for me and the players, but for the whole Club.''
Official Site

Rangers bowed out of the Carling Cup, after throwing away an early lead at Vale Park.

Goals from Jeff Smith, Danny Whitaker and Richard Walker wiped out Marc Nygaard's opener, and although Damion Stewart pulled one back late on, it was a night to forget for the R's.
Rangers trailed 2-1 at the break, despite Nygaard's first goal of the season.
The Danish front-man opened his account inside the opening nine minutes at Vale Park, finishing with aplomb after a goalkeeping howler from Vale custodian Mark Goodlad.
Port Vale were on terms within ten minutes though, with Smith smashing an unstoppable strike beyond the despairing dive of Jake Cole.
And the first half comeback was complete on 27 minutes, when Whitaker bundled the ball home after Akpo Sodje's initial effort had cannoned off the post.
Walker made it 3-1 midway through the second half, before Stewart bagged his first in QPR colours to give the R's hope on 77 minutes.
But it was not to be for Gary Waddock's men, as the R's poor form in Cup competitions continued.

Waddock made four changes from the embarrassing defeat at Layer Road on Saturday, with Marcus Bignot, Pat Kanyuka, Stefan Bailey and Adam Czerkas returning to the fray.

cky Ward and Lee Cook occupied the wide midfield roles, as the R's - skippered by Marc Bircham - went gunning for only their third win of the campaign.

Rangers orchestrated the opening exchanges, with Ward and Cook both feeling the force of a couple of rash challenges which referee Mr Salisbury.

But it was R's midfielder Bailey who marked his return to the starting XI with a booking inside the opening six minutes, for a rash challenge on Jeff Smith.

The R's positive start paid dividends with an opening goal on nine minutes and it was Nygaard who got it.

Chasing down an innocuous looking through ball, the Danish front-man blocked Vale custodian Mark Goodlad's attempted clearance, before curling the ball into an empty net from an acute angle.

It was a textbook finish from the Dane, who could count himself extremely unlucky not to open his account just three days earlier at Layer Road, when the dubious goals panel gave the R's consolation to U's defender Wayne Brown.

Buoyed by their goal, the Super Hoops continued to enjoy the lion's share of possession, with Cook at the heart of their impressive start.

After leaving three in his wake with a superb piece of wing play, the R's left winger delivered a piercing near post cross, which Goodlad did well to gather under pressure from Ward.

Port Vale were by no means overawed by their Championship opponents though and from their very first attack of the tie, Smith smashed an unstoppable half volley past Cole to put the Valiants on terms.

Undeterred, the R's were back on the front foot almost immediately, with Nygaard stinging the palms of Goodlad with a speculative 25-yard drive.

Smith was the undoubted star of the show for the hosts and when he sent in an inch-perfect centre on 27 minutes, Sodje beat Cole to the cross and headed against the upright.

The danger wasn't over though and Whitaker was in the right place at the right time to bundle home the rebound, to leave the small gathering of Rangers fearing yet another woeful away day.

Cole's evening almost went from bad to worse on 33 minutes, when was adjudged to have sent Whitaker sprawling to ground on the edge of the box.

Fortunately for the R's custodian, Mr Salisbury let the challenge go unpunished, which was of some relief to Waddock, who had no fit goalkeepers at his disposal on the bench.

The pressure on the R's back four was relentless and after Sodje headed inches over, Cole had to be at his agile best to tip round Paul Harsley's 25-yard screamer.

Nygaard squandered a glorious chance on the stroke of half-time, volleying high and wide after breaking through the last line of the Vale defence.

It proved to be his last involvement, as the R's crippling injury crisis took yet another turn for the worse, with teenager Ray Jones replacing the unlucky Dane.

Matthew Rose replaced the out-of-sorts Mauro Milanese at the break, with the experienced defender slotting in at left back

Ward offered hope to the R's faithful when his mazy run ended with a speculative shot which flew inches wide on 53 minutes, but it was Vale who carved out the best opening of the second half on the hour.
Fine interplay between Constantine and Sodje released Mark McGregor, whose shot was deflected inches wide of Cole's left hand post.
Rangers didn't heed the warning though and from the resultant corner kick, Walker stooped to head home unchallenged from the edge of the six-yard box.
Bailey blasted high and wide from 20-yards on 70 minutes, but in truth, that was the best the R's could offer, despite enjoying prolonged spells of possession.

But Stewart handed them a lifeline with 13 minutes left on the clock - firing home from little more than three yards from Cook's in-swinging free-kick - to set up a grandstand finish.
Shabazz Baidoo went close in stoppage time, but Rangers bowed out.
Official Site

BBC - Port Vale 3-2 QPR
Port Vale piled more misery on to Championship strugglers QPR by dumping the visitors out of the Carling Cup.
QPR netted on nine minutes when Vale keeper Mark Goodlad's clearance hit striker Marc Nygaard, who tapped in.
Vale levelled 10 minutes later when Jeff Smith drove in a left-footed shot before Danny Whitaker bundled the ball home to put the home side in front.

Richard Walker's header extended Vale's lead, while Damion Stewart's goal proved to be a mere consolation.

Sporting Life
Qort Vale 3 QPR 2

QPR's dismal start to the season continued as they were dumped out of the Carling Cup by Coca-Cola League One outfit Port Vale.

Bottom of the Championship with just one league win so far this season, manager Gary Waddock had no respite at Vale Park as the hosts bounced back from conceding an early goal to claim the win.
Rangers were gifted the opener in the ninth minute when Mark Goodlad drilled a clearance into Marc Nygaard and the Danish frontman was left to tap into an open goal for his first of the season.
But Vale were on level terms 10 minutes later when Jeff Smith met a Danny Whitaker cross with a rasping left-footed shot which gave Jake Cole no chance.
Goodlad then made amends with a good save with his feet from Nygaard before the League One high-fliers took the lead.
The goal was a scrappy affair which was eventually given to Whitaker, although Leon Constantine also tried to claim it.
Rangers' evening got even worse when Nygaard was forced off just before the break with an injury, to be replaced by Ray Jones, whose late winner accounted for Northampton in the first round.
The second period got off to a slow start but the game burst into life just before the hour mark when Vale extended their lead, Richard Walker heading Danny Sonner's corner past Cole from six yards out.
Cole had to be alert to deny Constantine a fourth for Vale before the Hoops gave themselves a lifeline with 12 minutes remaining.
Vale struggled to clear a Lee Cook cross and it eventually fell to Damion Stewart, who prodded home his first goal for the club.
But Rangers were unable to muster any more chances and Vale, conquerors of Preston in round one, were left to celebrate another Championship scalp.
Sporting Life

Read more: qprreport.proboards.com/post/286569/edit#ixzz2fJpmRB1n

No comments: