QPR Report Twitter

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The QPR Report Opposing Fan Interview: Manchester U on-and-off-the-Field

-


- Throughout the day, the QPR Report Messageboard has news updates, comments and perspectives - even links to other board comments of interest re QPR matters (on and off the field) along with football (and ONLY football) topics in general....Also Follow: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Past QPR vs Manchester United Encounters and Stats

QPR Report Q&A: Manchester United Fans Perspective: Ian Rimmer of Manchester United's Red Ranks

- Many thanks to Ian Rimmer of Manchester United's Red Ranks Interview Conducted by QPR Report's MaudesFishnChips

THE INTERVIEW

How long have you supported united? and why?

I've supported United since I was born, my Dad wouldn't have it any other way. He took me to my first games when I was about 5. After that I shared a season ticket with my older brother so we took it turns to go with my Dad. I started going home and away at the age of about 15 until I got in to my twenties when a few years of doing some serious ******** (it was the 90's!) meant I took a break from the game! I returned again home and away during the 2000's and now I concentrate my efforts on following the academy home and away instead, hence my write-ups on RedRants.com

*maude edit: 'partying' might be best


How did you get to your blog? Has it evolved how you would of expected?

Well, I was inspired to write a match report after last seasons FA Youth Cup win at Anfield, since then I've just carried on. I was asked to take over RedRants.com soon after, so now I do both and it's going well.


your views on the noisy neighbours!

I think they're proving that money really can change the course of history. Never in a million years would that shower have won a Carling Cup let alone an FA Cup without the Sheikhs billions......and to think they're in the Champions League too?! Astonishing!


Are you happy with your team and how things are to date? – What are your opinions of ferguson?his signings this summer and selling?

Happy? Of course, we're Man Utd, who wouldn't be happy? There are a few obvious issues that could perhaps get some of the more fickle fans moaning and groaning. For instance, we're a few men short in a few areas (CM, LB, RB and possibly even up front), The Glazers are crooked sharks, ticket prices are spiralling out of control and we'll soon be without Sir Alex.
On the up side though, we've made our best start to a Prem season EVER, we're unbeaten away from home (whereas last season at this point we hadn't even won a game on our travels), we've got some of the best young talent in the country playing in the first team, the reserves and in the academy and, if we despatch your boys on Sunday we'll be top of the league with the bitters playing Arsenal and staring down the barrel of an oh-so Manchester City-like slump-in-form after Monday nights defeat to Chelsea.


What do you think of your current Owner? WHY is he involved? What do you expect from him?

Greedy. Money. Nothing.


How do you think united treats its fans? Appreciates them? Listens to them? Screws them?

It depends what kind of fan you are. If you're one with plenty of cash to spend in it's megastore then yeah, I think it likes us. If you're one who likes to go for a few pre-match pints with your mates, get to the ground just in time for kickoff and sing a few derogatory songs at the away fans then no, I don't think they appreciate us at all.


Who are you Dangermen/Most valued/most overrated/most underrated players?

I think the danger man this Sunday will be the obvious, Wayne Rooney. Sorry to be so predictable but he loves his London aways and he's just kickstarted what most of us expect to be a glut of goals after an 8 game barren spell. I reckon our most valuable asset is probably either Nani or newly signed Phil Jones. As for value to the team then at the moment it's got to be Rio Ferdinand. His role is crucial in the absence of Vidic due to a lengthy ligament injury.


Are you happy with your youth set up? Is your club doing enough to bring young/local talent through the ranks?

The youth setup is superb. I think English football needs to find a format to develop 18-21 year old's after they finish in the academy. The reserves league is antiquated and in need of overhaul and doesn't continue to develop youth in the way the academy does. As for local talent then look out for names like Ravel Morrison, Keane (twins), Larnell Cole, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Zeki Fryers and Tom Thorpe over the next year or two. Each of those names (and others) were born in the city.


Who would you say was the greatest united player that you yourself personally saw? And past player? (You can name more than one if it's that close!)

Bryan. Robson.


What is your prediction for united this season?

League Title #20 and maybe a cheeky cup win to boot. To be honest, the title's the big one, because if we don't win it....I'm afraid Citeh might get their hands on it.......and I'd have to leave my job if that ever happened!


Are you aware of any player or manager links between our two clubs past and present?

I thought about this all day and apart from Kieran Lee who you took on loan a few years ago and Paul Parker signing for us in '91 then no, I can't think of any other links. I remember Denis Bailey scoring a hat-trick at Old Trafford on New Years Eve a great many years ago though.


What is your view and the general united view of QPR and of Neil Warnock?

Honestly? I see both as Championship material although you're both proving me wrong at the minute.


Who(if any) is your most memorable/favourite QPR Player over the years?

Andy Sinton stands out for me. On his day he could be really damaging.


Any memorable matches between our two clubs that stand out for you? And the reasons why?

Yes two, the one I mentioned on New Years day and the only trip I made to Loftus Road in the early nineties. Finished 0-0 though, terrible game. My only memory is standing at eye-level to the pitch.....strange ground.


Your score prediction for QPR v Manchester United?

I think we mean business for the next few weeks/months after our untimely Champions League exit so I can see a comprehensive but hard fought 3-1 win for us. Michael Carrick's due a goal and now he's finally ventured beyond the half-way line I predict a goal for him and a couple for Rooney.


What, realistically, do you think united are capable of achieving in the next five years?

That all depends how long Sir Alex continues for. It's a popular shout that when he finishes United will suffer a similar decline in form and success they suffered in the Post-Busby era, I think the next five years are all about ensuring that doesn't happen, regardless of who's in charge. In the meantime I honestly believe we can compete for most major honours and keep Liverpool off their perch and City as bitter and obsessed as ever.

Cheers

Ian.
-
-

No comments: